Free Zombie Games
Free zombie games are zombie video games which are free zombie game software and contain exclusively free zombie game content. Because of this they are freely distributable and often cross-platform compatible. Many are included on Flash game Internet sites as a result. Some free zombie games are open source games but not all open source games are free zombie games.
In general free zombie games are developed by small groups of people in their free time, without aiming for profit. Some free zombie games are based on formerly commercial projects, whose source code was released as open source and free zombie game data as open content.
ZombieGames.net seriously has a fricking ton of free zombie games. You will be like, oh dudes, this is the place I am going from now on when I have a yearning to play a free zombie game.
Online Free Zombie Games
If you knew how, you could download free zombie games, but honestly you should just play them here. There are even a few free 3D zombie games, Boxheads Rooms and Boxheads More Rooms. Since you are on the Internet right now, obviously these are all free online zombie games.
Download Free Zombie Games
The games below are not free zombie games, but feature zombies inspired by the archetypal flesh-eating zombies seen in free films, B-movies and literature (Romero zombies, for example). Particular zombie rationale and depictions vary with the source.
- Several tie-in zombie games based directly on film franchises:
- City of the Dead - Based on George A. Romero's Dead films. It's creation was canceled midway through production due to the company building it going out of business.
- The Evil Dead, Evil Dead: Hail to the King, Evil Dead: A Fistful of Boomstick and Evil Dead: Regeneration, all based on the Evil Dead series.
- Friday the 13th - This 1985 game focuses on zombies as enemies haunting the 'cursed' Crystal Lake, led by the (also rather zombie-like) Jason Voorhees.
- Land of the Dead: Road to Fiddler's Green - The only Romero-based game ever released, with a parallel story to the movie of the same name.
- Area 51 (first-person shooter) - FPS in which humans infected by an airborne mutagen are similar to Zombies.
- Beast Busters - An arcade gun-game, which is not a free zombie game, in which the players have to free humanity from a zombie-infested city.
- Blood - A 1997 FPS that introduces zombies and ghouls to an American Old West setting.
- The Carmageddon series, particularly Carmageddon 2, features a zombie takeover of a large city through which the player must drive, killing zombies along the way to free the human race. However, it should be noted that this is only in the censored version of the game; the uncensored version contained regular pedestrians as victims instead of zombies.
- CarnEvil - An arcade game about an undead free zombies amusement park given the title, "The Greatest Show Unearthed!"
- Castlevania Series - Every game in the Castlevania series has included zombies. Some are infinitely-spawning enemies which are very easy to defeat, while others have been featured as bosses (Beelzebub) or as components to a boss (Legion, Granfalloon).
- Cold Fear - A Coast Guard receives a call to a ship where the military scientist crew are all dead, the dead crew are re-animated by a creature called the exo-cell which gives the corpse an in-satiable hunger for flesh and death.
- Corpse Killer - A video game that was released on SEGA CD which featured a gang of hunters/soldiers who flee from a village full of zombies.
- Dead Rising - Not a free zombie games, but an action/adventure title released by Capcom for the Xbox 360 where the player is trapped inside of a mall filled with thousands of zombies.
- Doom series - The player combats gun-wielding, satanic zombies, who play free zombie games, on the moons of Mars, Mars itself, and Earth. In Doom 3, more traditional zombies were added. Many DOOM zombie games are available for free download.
- Duke Nukem: Zero Hour - In this Nintendo 64 game, there are several levels set in the Victorian England were the player must fight decomposed corpses reanimated by an alien virus.
- Flesh Feast 3D - Zombie Hunting PC Game by Sega.
- Several Half-Life and Half-Life 2 mods are based on traditional zombies:
- BrainBread - A free zombie game for multiplayer Half-Life co-operative mod has players fighting off zombies and becoming zombies themselves.
- They Hunger, A single-player free zombie games mod for Half-Life, features a three episode trilogy set in rural USA. The scenario is similar to the classic zombie film Night of the Living Dead.
- Zombie Master - In this Half-Life 2 modification a team of human players must complete an object while defending their base against Zombie hordes that are controlled by a Zombie Master. Another great example of free zombie games.
- House of the Dead series - Blasting arcade zombie games once famed for their extremely violent portrayal of anti-zombie combat.
- Infected - Players assume the role of a New York cop and must rescue civilians from the undead in these free zombie games.
- Left 4 Dead - A multiplayer, Zombie based survival PC game by Turtle Rock and Valve
- Loaded - This 1996 Playstation game featured zombies terrorizing a futuristic prison, and inmates who must fight their way out of the infected zones.
- Nocturne - In one chapter, The Stranger is dispatched to deal with a zombie outbreak in a small farming community. It is revealed that the zombies are the side-effect of an infestation of a Lovecraftian dark god entombed under the village.
- Michael Jackson's Moonwalker - Level 4 takes place and has all the common elements of a free movie graveyard zombies included. One may think of the music video for "Thriller"; the song that plays during this level, however, is "Another Part of Me".
- Quake - Zombies are one type of monster that appear throughout the game. They may only be killed with explosives.
- Quarantine features both traditional grave-risen zombies and living humans of a large city turned into zombie-like maniacs by an experimental drug in the water supply.
- Resident Evil series - This quintessential zombie gaming experience features typical flesh-eating zombies (and stranger creatures) created by synthetic means, i.e. mutagenic viruses created by the evil Umbrella Corporation. However, Resident Evil 4 features a parasitic type of zombie and some other monsters rather than stereotypical zombies. There are a few Resident Evil free zombie games.
- Stubbs the Zombie in "Rebel Without a Pulse" - A third-person game played as the zombie, along with an army of converted zombies.
- The Suffering video game series - A third to first person series of games in which a prison inmate/escapee named "Torque" has to fight hordes of zombie like creatures (technically not zombies, but are very similar as each beast represents a death)
- The Oneechanbara series are hack and slash games involving the female protagonist cutting swathes through an army of undead free zombies in modern day Japan.
- TimeSplitters - Makes use of zombies, though often in a comical way: zombies are depicted in a somewhat cartoon-like manner, and the Challenges contain a Behead the undead free zombies series which revolves around the player trying to kill as many zombies as possible before dying. In TimeSplitters 2, the first mission features zombies created in a Soviet lab, and the third mission involves zombies reanimated by black magic in the Notre Dame cathedral. In TimeSplitters: Future Perfect, zombies feature from the Mansion of Madness level onwards, and are shown to be the biological predecessors of the titular TimeSplitter race.
- Touch the Dead - A Nintendo DS game that is an on-rail, first-person shooter that challenges a player to eradicate hundreds of waves of zombies in prisons, swamps, and military bases.
- Typing of the Dead - A spin-off/port of House of the Dead that tries to serve as a typing trainer.
- Urban Dead - A browser-based free zombie game MMORPG where players can join either the survivors or the zombies, in the battle for control of a quarantined city.
- Zombi - A 1990 arcade adventure. Like Dead Rising, it has a zombies-in-shopping-mall theme inspired by the film Dawn of the Dead.
- Zombies Ate My Neighbors - A SNES/Sega Genesis video game in which zombies and other B-movie monsters ravage suburbia.
- Zombie Revenge Arcade beat 'em up where players choose one of three characters to pummel zombies. Also released for the Sega Dreamcast.
- Zombie Zombie - A 1984 action game with a B-movie inspired plotline.